This qualification is for learners who wish to develop their skills and knowledge in managing health and safety for the workplace. You will have an autonomous role in your organisation for managing health and safety policy and practice. You will report directly to, or be part of the senior management team. You will recommend and implement changes relevant to your role and will be aware of cost implications and budgetary control.
The Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice is the UK’s premier vocational qualification designed specifically for safety professionals who want to attain chartered status of IOSH (CMIOSH) through a practical, evidence-based route as opposed to an academic course.
It is intended for those who wish to forge a career in health and safety as advisors, managers or consultants. There are no entry requirements, but candidates must be aged 19 or over and will need to demonstrate they can produce evidence across the standard by completing our initial assessment prior to being accepted on to the programme (please see below).
The qualification meets the academic requirements for Graduate Membership of IOSH. With additional experience and initial professional development, those who get the diploma can also attain Chartered Safety Practitioner status.
Note that candidates who wish to obtain CMIOSH status via exams should consider taking the NEBOSH National Diploma.
Initial Assessment and Induction
Before starting these programmes, we require delegates to complete a Self Assessment and Personal Action Plan to identify:
- Specific training needs
- Support and guidance requirements
- Units that have already been completed or existing credits that have been accumulated
This form will help you to establish whether you require any additional training in order to complete the units. If necessary, you will need to develop a plan with your manager to gain competence in the relevant areas before attempting the units.
The time it takes you to complete the course is entirely up to you. On average, it takes delegates between 15 and 18 months. However, some candidates manage to complete within a year, while others take longer than 18 months. Additional support can be purchased should you require more time to complete your qualification.
There are 11 individual units that you must complete if you wish to achieve the full diploma. Should you wish to reach Graduate Membership and follow the Chartered Membership route through IOSH, you will need to complete the optional unit which IOSH require ( Professional Development and Ethics in Health and Safety Practice).
The 10 Mandatory units are as follows:
- Develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information.
- Promote a positive health and safety culture.
- Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters.
- Identify, assess and control health and safety risks
- Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety.
- Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety.
- Develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures.
- Develop and implement health and safety review systems.
- Behavioural safety in the workplace
- Develop and implement the health and safety policy.
The optional unit for Graduate Membership recognition and Chartered Membership route:
- Professional development and ethics in health and safety practice.
Or one of the following alternative options.
- Develop and implement the health and safety induction process.
- Manage contractors to ensure compliance with health and safety.
As the qualification is work based, the NVQ Level 5 Diploma can be undertaken anywhere in the UK. Inductions will be arranged by your appointed assessor, either face to face, via telephone or through electronic media (depending on your location). The NVQ is offered as a distance learning and assessment programme. Work and evidence is to be submitted electronically via a cloud based system or by email. Support and training are provided principally through telephone calls, Skype calls and emails.
This course costs £1,795 + VAT. Included in the price are enrolment fees, unlimited support for 18 months with a fully qualified and competent assessor and final certification.